Garrett Law Group, PLC – Criminal Law Blog

by J.D. Garrett on April 25, 2012


How To Use Our Criminal Law Site

If you have a question about a criminal defense matter or a traffic infraction, it’s likely we have the answer right here in our criminal law blog. You can type the question in the search box to the right and then click submit…and every page on this site that focuses on your question will be presented.

And if you cannot find the answer to your question in our criminal law blog or on one of our website pages, and you or a family member is in trouble….pick up the phone and call us at (757) 422-4626, or contact us online.

We’ll answer your question….no pressure and no-hype, and completely free of charge.

And if you want us to help, we will.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) in Criminal Law

Does law enforcement have the right to search my property?

When law enforcement personnel believe you may have drugs, weapons or some evidence of a crime on your property, more than likely they will want to conduct a search of your property (home, business, vehicle, etc.) You should understand that unless a recognized narrow exception applies, the police officer must have a search warrant to conduct this search unless you otherwise give them your consent to search. Failure on their part to adhere to the law may result in any evidence recovered being suppressed at trial.

What is a deferred finding?

A deferred finding occurs when the court makes a decision to not issue a judgment of guilt in a particular case. Deferred findings are generally entered pending some other requirements by the defendant. For example, completing community service, paying restitution or completing certain programs. Provided the defendant successfully completes these terms, the charge may be reduced to a lesser charge or dismissed altogether.

What is the difference between a conviction and an adjudication?

These terms essentially have the same meaning, but they apply to adult vs. juvenile defendants. When an adult is found guilty, the court enters a conviction for the crime; for a juvenile, if the evidence is found to be sufficient for guilty, they are adjudicated as a delinquent minor. Following the entry of a respective finding, the court will then proceed to a sentencing phase of the trial.

What do I do if I’m being investigated for an alleged crime?

The answer to this question is the same whether you are being questioned regarding a criminal act, actively investigated for a crime, or if you have been arrested and charged with a crime. Under no circumstances should you ever speak with the police regarding a criminal offense. Police officers will tell you, and many people believe, they are trying to explain their actions and clarifying the facts. However, these statement will be twisted in such a way to be used against you during your trial.

Why should I hire a criminal defense lawyer?

A strong attorney will have in-depth knowledge of how the criminal justice system works, including laws that are relevant to your case, methods for possibly getting evidence barred from court, grounds for getting charges dropped or reduced, diversion programs that you might be eligible for and much more. The right lawyer can help you look for weaknesses in the prosecution’s case that can greatly strengthen your defense strategy. You could miss out on important opportunities for protecting your freedom by failing to consult with a criminal defense attorney for your criminal case.

Online Marketing
Add blog to our directory.

Previous post:

Next post: